Small mojo

Two favorite movies come to me when I think: Mojo. Flan. They're as different as could be, but not really. They're about starts and starting over. One is major foodie, the other mostly Jane Austen ... but not all. First, Chef the movie. "I like your mojo" shows up midway through the movie ... It's "the kid's" line. And the thing is? I missed the real mojo in that line until the tickles for this blog finally shifted the pronunciation from English to Spanish. I wasn't hearing it, know what I mean?

If you haven't watched Chef, I'll not spoil it for you. If you are a Chef the movie fan. Do you know that line and scene?


The other movie has a scene that is sappy, but so sweet to me. We watched it (the scene and the movie again ... after many years) and I loved it, once again. Is it just us, old folks loving the familiar when there is not much familiar going on in this world turned inside out? Do you love old movies and watch them obsessively?

Anyway. The movie when "I'm hungry. Miha, get me some eggs. I'm gonna make some flan," comes from is Jane Austen Book Club. I confess, I have NOT read Jane Austen's books. There are plenty of them made into movies, and many other books I love and read. No excuses. Just sayin'. I found this movie gossip to flop here:

"When Allegra is separating eggs for the flan, she puts the first couple of yolks in the bowl with the whites, defeating the purpose of separating them. She is then seen taking the yolks out with the egg shell as she does this. (The actors had a limited number of takes available and Maggie Grace was forced to do this so she would not waste a take."
The scene below, from Jane Austen Book Club, is one of my favs but not the flan scene. It's the eating of whipped cream in a big glass tumbler ... and two cans of aerosol that gets me everytime. Not exactly organic, but so fun! I'd love to be sitting with a pal at a bar eating whipped cream with a spoon out of a big glass tumbler talking about books!


Got some mojo and flan inspirations? What and where are they from?



Comments